Monday, October 3, 2011

Lactose Intolerance, How I Hate Thee

I discovered I was lactose intolerant the hard way.  I was in my teenage years, and had stopped at a road side ice cream stand to indulge in one of my favorite summer-time treats.  Oh, that soft-serve, vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles.... I can taste it now.

Except, that I can not taste it now and unless some miraculous twist of fate occurs, I will never taste it again.  That soft-serve ice cream cone attacked my stomach with angry vengeance.  I remember barely making it to my grandparent's house thirty minutes away.  I had hoped that the problem lay with the softness of the soft-serve ice cream, but then I had similar reactions when I ate hard ice cream and whip cream.  The day that my stomach started its wretched churning after I had eaten the butter cream frosting off a bakery cake, I knew that my life had changed forever.

Nothing is more wonderful than butter cream icing.

I've done my research, but there isn't much information to be found.  Mostly, I get around being lactose intolerant by avoiding all milk products.  I've learned that I can eat most hard cheeses and soft cheeses up to and including mozzarella.  Brie is okay in small quantities, but I have to avoid ricotta like the plague.  Butter seems fine, but cream freche is a definite no-no.  I can drink Lactaid milk, but those lactaid tablets only work 50% of the time and who wants to risk that?  I've been lactose intolerant for years, but I still have so many questions:  Does cooking milk change anything?  Can I eat cream cheese?  Am I doomed to cool whip forever?  There are so many "buts" when you are lactose intolerant.

What have you found out?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...