Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lactose Intolerance and The City


I love eating out at restaurants.  I love eating, period, but eating out at a restaurant is the absolute best.  Unlike at a friend's house, where you have to be honest about your lactose intolerance or forever after be labelled as a liar, at a restaurant full of strangers, it is okay to throw the truth out the window and just tell the server that you are allergic to dairy.

A food allergy is always accepted as truth and no one ever rolls their eyes at you when you say that you have a food allergy.  

Should I be embarrassed by the fact that there are currently about 1,000 waiters in the United States who think I am allergic to milk?  I don't think so.  Even Carrie Bradshaw lies about being allergic -- and parsley isn't even a believable allergy!  

Poor Lactose Intolerance - it gets no respect.  But I'd much rather claim an allergy and eat a wonderful, milk-free dinner than tell the truth and hope that the chef understands exactly what ingredients need to be avoided when making my dinner.  I don't want to pay to be sick.

So join me in the lie ... and have a cosmopolitan, too:  they're dairy free!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...